21 July 2008

Post-31

I think once 31's done, I'll do a new series where I post never-before-seen blog entries - entries I chose to leave as drafts because I was either uncomfortable to share them with the world, or wrote knowing they'd be for me and only me. It is in these intimate moments with words where I feel the best kinda writing is produced.

Here's a preview, written circa Dec 2006:

Last night reminded me why I have friends, why I appreciate friends, why I love friends. It was a gathering of good friends and lost friends, a gathering of people who were forced to become friends. That's what the dorm experience was to us. A random selection of lost lonely teenagers forced to befriend and know each other in order to survive, to survive social depression in a sea of nameless faces walking with ipods in their ears and looking straight. We walked on a campus with people on the defensive, fearing that someone will take away something from them, their pride, academic and personal.

It's one thing to make friends by joining organizations. But those are the types of friends whose personalities are intertwined, because it is one specific personality that is drawn to these organizations. Looking at those circles of friends, I realize that there are traits uniform throughout each member. Only a few are unique, and those are the ones driven away by "cliques," the ones who find difficulty relating with others.

The friends that gathered last night are a diverse group who share a common bond, who share a year's worth experience breaking bubbles, a year's worth of diversifying our minds to accept others. It was special not only because we were able to reminiscence on the old times, not only because we were able to catch up with each other in comfortability without fear that anyone was judgemental (since we're waay past that already), it was special because we all introduced Berkeley to each other, introduced college to each other. Last night we went back to our roots... it was merry... a merry potluck, indeed. Good times like the one shared last night are times I live for.

1 comment:

la said...

genius.

i'm down for a few posts like that if you are :)

Blog Archive