07 December 2009

Stronger Bop-O Bags

Last Thursday in advisory class, I wanted to get the kids meditating. I preached the importance of mindfulness, bringing up the analogy of a bop-o bag. We get sad, we get mad, we get frustrated, we lose our patience and when we do our bag gets thrown to the floor. Eventually, it pops back up to square one. You know it will, but when that bag is down, nothing else in the world matters but how close you are to the floor. With mindfulness, we no longer are struck down so quickly nor so low.

For years now, my fav quote has been:

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Nothing affects you but the things you allow. If you find a way to control your mind, you control your world, ultimately. Simple enough, but think of how difficult it is to stop your own thoughts from flowing and, obviously, the task ain't so simple at all.

First, we spent two or so minutes sitting quietly listening to me play my xylophone. Then, we repeated the procedure with dead silence. I encouraged them to try and think of NOTHING. I just want them to grow wary of self-destructing demons that exist in their heads.

Ok, maybe I shouldn't be so harsh on our own thoughts. But I do know right now I desire a stronger bop-o bag with a stronger defense system. Or maybe, deep down, I know I don't. Thus, that's why I do.

1 comment:

Krizia said...

This is one of your best posts.

Blog Archive