The developing unease prompted me to contact those I still know nearby, to those I know I can still rely on for a hello and a shared meal. So, we met. And, to my delight, we interspersed our own analyses of this historic Laker-Celtic final and the world cup with updates about the development of your book and reflections on my third year of teaching. My, we've come a long way since sandwiching DC lunches in that hour between Soc 1 discussion and lecture. A month ago you advised: "Well, if you do make the move, make sure you got something lined up. I can attest to that."
You see, you took the plunge and you now see it through. Despite the struggle, the core of your new experiences are in new pursuits - the type typically out of reach when your focus is pinned on what's rational.
I bade farewell and found myself at a cafe sitting next to another face from freshmen year of college. First thoughts: I think I defriended this guy. Second thoughts: I wonder what he's up to? So I share a few teaching stories and he shares a few architecture stories. We then share in the story of angst, the struggle to determine what's next and when to leave. I find it funny. 7 years later after being fresh to the Bay and here we are. As I walk out the door, he says, fittingly, "don't get stuck." We laugh, nervously.
--
It hit me yesterday how much I miss 2422. The drives I make to familiar territory, though notsofaratall, get me nostalgic. I miss the wide street of my residential neighborhood, the proximity of downtown and the way my spot just felt like home. I don't know for certain what is next but I do know leaving it was the choice I wanted. We need a new chapter with a new setting.
--
I am reading a book called "Veronika Decides to Die" mostly because I've become a Paulo Coelho fan and the paperback grabbed me during a used bookstore kinda afternoon. I'm excited to share more of what I've read but for now, an anecdote. (This is the part where you stop reading if you are a lazy reader, like me):
Astonished, the people who had remained behind began to feel indignant. How could the man behave like that after making them wait four solid hours?
Some teacher, thought Veronika. Just as well I've never believed in such things.
After cursing the people who were complaining, Nasrudin tried to get up, but fell heavily to the floor. Disgusted, more people decided to leave, saying it was pure charlatanism, that they would denounce the degrading spectacle to the press.
Only nine people remained [of the original 1,700]. As soon as the final group of outraged spectators had left, Nasrudin got up; he was completely sober, his eyes glowed, and he had about him an air of great authority and wisdom. "Those of you who stayed are the ones who will hear me," he said. "You have passed through the two hardest tests on the spiritual road: the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage to not be disappointed with what you encounter. It is you I will teach."
--
PS. Can anybody out there hear me? Comment if you there...
1 comment:
you miss awesome neighbors
Post a Comment