--
I walk to the 70 building, look to my left and all I see is paper. If not flying, already on the floor. It's like a scene from some old school 90's movie.
--
I'm the first to arrive and all I hear is elevator music. Is this really where we intend to down one dollar draft beer and 3 dollar sake? Calm before the storm. An hour later and suddenly it's become a teacher happy hour after the last day of school. Waitress, angrily: "Are you ready to order? You do know this is not a bar. You can't just come in for drinks only..." I catch a few nervous eyes through the drunken mist of our long table, 15 teachers deep. I say to them, "ey, I've been regulating on bad words, bad behavior all year. It's my turn to act a fool." We take another shot of Sake.
--
I use the stool to hold me up. Turn around and flash my tie proudly. "Lezzzz go!" I drop a fist bump to the 3 other Laker fans amongst the sea of Laker haters behind me. The bar is packed. It's less than a minute left, but this game 7 can still go either way.
--
These streets are packed. I'm hungry but the line at the Jack in the Box behind us is out the door. And this is a damn big Jack in the Box! Everyone's carrying some sort of noisemaker and wearing something purple or gold. Millions on the streets just to greet their championship team with a wave. 0 days til Figueroa.
--
Rarely do I chill with a childhood friend and a teacher friend simultaneously. But here I am with 1 of each and we're Soarin' Over California. Gotta be one of my favorite rides. I love the fact that it's a Thursday and I'm free to do anything and whatever. Only a week later, I'd find myself here again with Mom enjoying a cup of latte and waiting on a World of Color.
--
He now does this thing in his jumper.. thing.. where he raises his arms and looks at you longingly if he wants you to pick him up. Gets me every time. My sister's child is growing so quickly. I take pictures and record videos, sad that I can't capture every tiny moment of his tiny lil life.
--
Standing in front of a peacock with nothing between us and all I can think is: "I can't believe it can grow those feathers." Later, I see with my own eyes a elephant, panda, hippo, and gorilla. The gorilla was taking a dump with his back to us, turned around, paused, and gave us a look "I can't believe y'all really just watched me do that." Then walked away begrudgingly "Fuck my life..."
--
Normally a hater of drinking games, I'm sucked in for a few rounds of beer pong. To my surprise, I'm winning. In fact, I win several times. Rebuttals here. My ping pong ball in the same cup my partner threw his. Unstoppable. 5-time champs before we retire for the night. Alright, I'm a believer now - I see how beer pong can bring the party like no other.
--
I lie w/ my eyes towards the sky and am thankful all know at that moment is the sand at my feet and the waves at my ears.
--
Dressed up fancy with friends who've become family. I remember my sister's debut. It felt so formal and my sister looked so beautiful. She was a grown woman, I thought back then. About to graduate high school, havin' her debut and all. Wow. This time around, everything feels like lilkidshit but I enjoy it nonetheless and laugh to myself. Nothing can replace family, and I cherish moments like this.
--
The colors, the lights. I look around and conclude: If I was a lady, I'd wear a red dress ALL THE TIME b/c everyone looks so drop dead gorgeous. XS makes me feel as if I had somehow sold my soul to the devil cus how can a space look THIS good!? The good times roll and we say whattup to Durant and the rest of the squad. Later in the night, my difficulty to breathe brings me to a near death experience. There's no way I can laugh THAT HARD for THAT LONG if I wasn't around some of the realest friends I know.
--
My mom puts on a face and says "ay di ma mi miss ka namin uli." I just told her my stay here in SM this time around will be my last of summer. A climb atop a mountain, trips abroad and the start of a school year loom.
--
Back in my car along with my possessions. These damn moves get me thinkin': "Why do I have so much crap?" and am bitter to need to move 'em around. I'm sad I must leave the part of summer spent with folks I love in spaces not my own. But I'm on my way back to the place I've grown to love and look forward to seeing folks I've been missing. Bay Area bound...
2 comments:
nice.
enjoy the rest of your summer. and happy travels abroad!
Appreciate the comment validation Jae! Makes me want to keep blogging... I do look forward to the travels but what I look forward to more is October...
Post a Comment