27 October 2010

Bay Area Bandwagon

1) I am well-aware I have been completely spoiled as a sports fan. During Monday's random segment in math class, I rode the hype of the Giants championship appearance by sharing the appearances/championships of each Bay Area pro-team.


It was for kicks. But the research was fun. The Bay Area has starved for a champion, let alone a playoff contender. Aside from the Warriors in '07, and the A's in '06, the Bay Area hasn't had a consistent playoff contender since early 00's. (Unless, of course, you're counting Hockey).

Anyway, just for kicks I followed it up w/:

That's 12 appearances & 8 championships in my 25 years of life. Lakers only missed the playoffs TWICE since my birth. In fact, speaking of birthdays, the night before my very birth, the Lakers won their 9th championship while playing the Celtics on Boston's home floor (Game 6 - June 9, 1985). I get it. I am a spoiled ass fan. And make no mistake that I DO NOT take it for granted.

2) 3 weeks before the end of the MLB season, I caught the Giants playing the Dodgers. Afterwards, Giants merchandise was on sale so I picked up a "G" hat cus I liked the "G" (for Mr. G) & I liked that it represented the Bay Area for me. Got one for my Dad too (Who's first name is Gil, btw). [I just needed to explain the hat - sorry.]

3) My philosophy on bandwagoners is as follows: If a complete non-fan is suddenly swept up by the excitement of one team's championship run, I welcome them w/ open arms.

4) I understand my bandwagoner philosophy is far from the common philosophy. I understand for some: if you haven't been to any games, you ain't a fan. I understand for some: if you haven't been following a suffering team for years, you ain't a fan. I understand for some: if you didn't give a shit about baseball a month ago and suddenly you're posting up statuses, you for sure ain't no damn fan. Get your spoiled Laker ass off our bandwagon. You don't deserve to share in our happiness.

5) I am by no means claiming to be a fan of the Giants. I understand any sort of pleasure or happiness I receive from watching Uribe hit a 3-run homer in the bottom 5th to break open game one is nothing compared to the glory Josh is feeling.

6) But, I will say this: never in my life have I ever watched baseball games on television from start to finish like I've been since the Giants/Padres series to end the season. Never in my life have I been excited about baseball. I understand loyalty; I value it. And I absolutely deep down respect the loyalty my Bay Area peers have in squads that've given them torture in return. I cannot imagine the elation a lifelong Giants fan is feeling right now. I got one HUGE Giants fan in my first period class named Taro and the kid is all smiles each win the Giants get closer to a World Championship.

Every sports fan becomes a fan of their squad for one reason or another - maybe it was an inheritance from a parent or an older sibling, maybe it was childhood friends whose love for a team spread to you, maybe it's pride in where you're from, or maybe it was a miracle run that caught your heart. I'm not saying I'm now a fan of the Giants, but I will say I'm damn excited right now. Excited for that team, for my friends, colleagues, and students who're fans, and for the Bay Area. But, if by some other miracle I do become a fan, I'm not afraid to say this is where it started.

Go Giants.

4 comments:

emilyn said...

"read my latest post"

lol. knew it was gonna be a good one. i agree with you though. i think its cool that people are excited now -especially people who didn't have an interest in the sport before. but for people who try to front like they've been down all along... that's just disrespectful to the real fans. i was at the mall and there was a long ass line outside the giants store. literally out the door. THOSE are the bandwagon fans. hhahahah

p.s. NINERS! eh? EH? no one will call you a bandwagon fan for sure. since it was sports day yesterday i still had my jersey on when i went to the store. the cashier was like "you really a niners fan?" and i said "yeah!" and he said "...tough times for you guys" and laughed.

remember, INFINITE points...

emilyn said...

A's over your team in 89. not 84...

bad knowledge!

Eyawn said...

Proves my baseball knowledge.

camille said...

my favorite sentence because it's too true:"Get your spoiled Laker ass off our bandwagon."

i get where you're coming from now. as long as you are actually enjoying watching the games now, then i guess it's alright for you to say "go giants"...once in a while.

Blog Archive