18 January 2011

Selflessness

I lived through 16 years of school as a student. I'm in my 4th as a teacher. 20 school years.

I embrace the fact that two timelines denote the beginning and end of years. When August rolls around, I have things in mind I'd like to develop and see in myself "this year." When June arrives, I celebrate. When January rolls around, I have things in mind I'd like to develop and see in myself "this year." When December arrives, I celebrate.

The goals and habits I hope to form generally have different themes. August - maybe more career-oriented. January - maybe more personal development-oriented. This August & January though, the main goal and main habit is one and the same.

--

I want to be more selfless.

Redirecting my thoughts, my missions, my purpose, and my actions towards the benefit of others over my own is what I want. I realize this is not an easy task. We are vain creatures by nature. There is not a switch I can push that'll move me from selfish to selfless. It'll take time and practice. Your brain wanders all day everyday and you play protagonist to every single tiny subplot in your tiny lil' life. Naturally, you're hero and villain to your own plays. But what are you standing for if your sole purpose is to get yourself to a level where you feel better than other people. That's no longer where it's at. I have my problems and you have yours. But, everyday someone always fights a harder battle. It's easy to forget, is it not?

I know my a vast majority of my actions, thoughts and words will still be vain and still be selfish, but an overarching mission of growing more selfless over selfish is something I'd like to maintain throughout my year.

My students.
My school.
My co-workers.
My profession.
My communities.
My friends.
My family.
My parents.
My siblings.
My nephew.
My acquaintances.
The person's I see on the store.
The strangers I see on the street.
The people in need.

(My favorite twitter feed.)

Take care of others over yourself. Beyond that, everything else (selfish things included) will fall into place.


1 comment:

emilyn said...

HH the Dalai Lama is the man.