Dear Thanksgiving Break,
I dreaded my return to work today. I was blaming it on you. You teased me with nine days straight only to throw me back again. But, to my surprise, work was nice. The kids were not an(gry/noying) monsters and my co-workers were pleasant too. In fact, it felt nice to catch up with students and teachers about how you treated them this past week. Stories about family people seldom see or turkeys or black fridays dream realized or black friday nightmares. It felt especially nice returning to a community I've grown to love and to a purpose I'm passionate towards.
So, I thank you. I thank you for giving me:
-A return to running. [Four runs in a single week is something that's eluded me for months.]
-Time to spend with family.
-A nephew that's growing so so quickly.
-Friendships to last lifetimes.
-Laughter.
-Chess with Dad.
-Drinks with [21-year-old] Brother.
-Turkey Bowl 2011.
-Mornings to sleep in.
-Cups of coffee drank slowly.
-Home-cooked meals.
-Entire days where I could do whatever the hell I want.
-Stories shared amongst people I love.
-The chance live life slowly.
--
-Space to breathe and take my mind off a school year that's been stressing me far more than it should. Thanks for helping me realize that, at the very core, my job is just my job. It is but one dimension of my being. Placing pressure on myself is unnecessary. I will not be successful and reach every. single. student. I will not be the best teacher. We will not turn around the math department and the school this year. Or maybe ever? There will always be heartbreaking stories. [There are far more heartwarming stories. There are students you've grown to love. You love your job.] Thank you for helping me regain the balance that's left me. Because the balance and the life outside of teaching is what helps keeps me sane and, ironically, contributes to me becoming a better teacher.
--
-A reason to write again...
Sincerely,
Ian

2 comments:
I love this post Mr. G! Thanks for articulating the excellence of Thanksgiving :)
there we go, thank you. and things always turn out for the better, just do the right thing. remember tank man?-ram
Post a Comment