11 July 2007

2nd Section

The second section is the tough section. I remember the first day entering the classroom in Oak-Tech, sitting through that first section to observe students and teachers. Students looked so disengaged: ipod headphones were in, text messages going on left and right, cross-talking b/w friends in the class, students walking out the door w/out permission. I thought to myself, "wow."

Afterward, Ms. Mason went up to Mr. B (the other fellow in the class) and I and said, "This first section is a good section. The second one is really tough, really disruptive... very tough to manage, especially compared to this one."

I though to myself, "no freakin' way."

She was right. Students in the first section were angels compared to that second section. Maybe it's because it's the later period, or maybe it's because the class has 33 (THIRTY THREE! - beyond capacity! students have to share desks!) students attending regularly... but that class was out of control.

After teaching the first section last Thursday, I went into the weekend telling Mr. B and Ms. Mason that I wanted to take on the second section this week. I did this because I thought to myself: "I'm pushing myself pretty hard this summer, might as well go harder."

Teaching that second section on Monday was brutal. It was a much different experience compared to teaching the first section.

The first thing I did was implement a seating chart. I strategically placed students into desks as if they were chess pieces on a chessboard, hoping to come up with an arrangement that would change the culture of class from one of rowdiness to one of learning.

The second thing I did was create a poster that said "ALL STUDENTS WILL PASS GEOMETRY THIS SUMMER." I started off that first class on Monday telling them.. "practically everyone did terrible on their tests last friday. This is the reason why I've set up a seating chart. I want everyone to pass. I know you all want to pass. This is how it's going to be from here on out."

I had them focused and attentive for a good 10 minutes before the class returned back to form. I had to stop my lesson several times to get kids to calm down. And after those 2 hours, I felt beat up and bruised. I felt like going home to cry and have a beer.

AAAAND I think this is going too long so I will continue part 2 of this reflection later.

1 comment:

Rita said...

keep it up, ian!

Blog Archive