29 December 2008

I remember faces, but not always names

Sunny bus rides on the H line. I remember faces, but I not always names: The one who impressed me by knowing all three parts of the bee. Victoria who was so happy to have 2 string cheeses instead of 1. The one who was annoying at the rug, but so cute when he raised his hand and asked for a carry as I escorted him to the restroom. Little Nick who gave me a hug 2 weeks after our class together; I couldn't believe he remembered me.

Early morning commutes with sleepy bart riders. I remember faces, but I not always names: The one who always complimented me on my clothes. The short 8th grader w/ the cute, poofy hair, bounced so energetically as she walked down a hallway emblazoned w/ the colorful fishes we faculty cut out before the first day. Little Matthew, so shy on the first day, becoming the star of the play OUR homeroom together - complete with cape and markered thunderbolt on his head, Harry Potter. Green Green Bom Bom Balco BBQ Chicken Wizards. What a name, and there was Luke & Javonte who decided to throw in Balco. Manny, so enthusiastic about... everything, and outspoken in class. He did horribly on one assignment so I left a comment - harsh, but gentle. Later, I find out he commutes from Vallejo. They have lives just like me.

Freeway drives after class, exit Park. Faces but not names: A group of 12 middle schoolers too cool for school. But they became kids again once I introduced banana tag. Victoria, who sat in the corner for misbehavior, having her eyes light up with a "how did you know that!?" when I explained the finger trick for multiples of nine. Essa, David, and the third one (how I wish I remembered names) all with accents of different cultures, Arabic, Chinese, Mexican, all engaged in conversation with me as we discussed astronomy. Jose, too old for his grade and sometimes too troublesome, crying after his breakup with Daisy. Daisy, so smart for her age but gradually caught up in being cutesy and pretty and accepted. And Vivienne who congratulated me when she heard I'd be a teacher soon, who emailed me months later begging me to return and teach her.

The short drive from MLK to 51st. Faces but not names: Jacory who had a black hoodie everyday. One for everyday. Each imprinted with the face of one who passed before him. "R.I.P. Big Cuzzin." Brett, who looked older than me. Chris Little, HUGE and smart and later recruited by Cal football. Ashley in the corner who said she was "tired of y'all fake ass teachers" when I pulled her out. Finding Antonio, always late to class, always rapping, sitting at the base of the stairs... questioning him. Learning that he had no place to sleep the night before - no wonder he was asleep in class and chose to walk out without permission. A summer later, Derek whose sister was my student the preceding school year. The one with the glasses whose parent pressured me to teach well. Kianna and Jesus, way too smart to be in that summer program but such a pleasure to have in class. I left it in the comments.

7am on the 24. Faces but not always names: Julian whose cousin Andre put in a good word for me. Alex who gave me a Laker monopoly set on my birthday. Darquis & Nefi who're both scholarship bound for their respective sports. Lily and Fidel who're the first 2 to request letters of rec. Asmahan who doesn't speak english well at all, greet me with a "Kumusta" everytime I pass by. Hector who hated math but always tried, and asked great questions. Carolina and Ismael, both the quiet ones in 6th period but the brightest. Tazz, Cedy Boe, Jamal, LD, Kenneth, Antonio and a few others - all HUGE pains in the classroom, frequenting the classroom less and less. Gradually. Til they were gone altogether, leaving me to wonder where they went. And Eddy, who fit in the same boat but was the smartest when he applied himself. I still see his motorcycle parked next to the youth center. I still wonder how he go it. Shan, one-time starting QB, who also hated math but who studied relentlessly, came in for extra help, and received top score on the final - still comes back to say wussup. All of em who say wussup. All of em who say "Mr. G why don't you teach trig? GAH!"

The faces and names of the ones I work with now...

A thankless profession, a thankless passion, but the core of my thanks comes from these relationships and interactions - with students who will come and go. Faces I'll ALWAYS remember, but not always names.

No comments:

Blog Archive