I'm not there. Definitely not. I look forward to Fridays as much as the person next to me. Sometimes one student will act in a manner that kills me, and I consider over and over what options we have to get her back on track. There are days when I completely misfire lessons, and I know one kid's misunderstandings of say solving systems of equations by substitution method are completely my fault.
But I will say I do catch glimpses. Of the ideal, I mean, where 'doing what I love and loving what I do' is reality. I have before, but not this much. I can pin this on several things: I currently teach Geometry and Algebra, 2 subjects I've already taught before. There is no other way to learn the craft of teacher aside from doing it and it is now my third year. There are a few that makes things difficult, but I'm blessed with a great group of kids. I enjoy teaching, conversing with, and learning from them. I know exactly how I work and I know exactly how I don't - the need for how-to books and blogs on productivity is no longer.
Work feels not so much like work and more like something I do. I am at peace and I can probably count the wants and needs of my life in less than a hand. The thought of being a "life-er" in this profession is no longer as intimidating and scary as it once was, even in a place like Oakland...
...actually no that's still pretty intimidating and scary.
Many adventures await, I am certain; but for now, in this instance, this is me content with where I'm at.
2 comments:
Did you anticipate feeling content in teaching during your second year???
I'm starting to question...
I def. was not content during my second year. In fact, I believe my year 2 was harder than my year 1.
What are you questioning?
Post a Comment