11 November 2009

The Quiet Life

a un trattoria en firenze

I'm not trying to save the world. I've never had that aspiration. As a teacher, I don't have "make a difference" in mind.

One observation noted while meeting European counterparts of my age: an aspiration not to do something, but to enjoy life as is. Of course, all were on paths to do this or to do that, but I just got this sense that, in the end, all they're searching for is happiness.

I like to think I take on life with that same mentality. In terms of the job, I do it because I like it. I feel my talents and abilities are being extended to the max. I feel purposed. I feel growth. I feel community. And, I really really enjoy working with youth. Eff money or makin'/doin' it real big - that's just me.

All that other "make a difference" stuff is an added bonus. Respect is always something I've sought (could be the inferiority complex still lingering from my youth), and receiving props/respect for what I do is even further bonus. But, in the end, all I want is personal contentment, peace and happiness. I get all that when I feel I'm doing a good job in this job (not an easy one, at that).

Anyway, I hear of people with big aspirations and I question myself. What do I want to do in this life? Then I consider: what's so wrong w/ what I'm doing now?

No comments:

Blog Archive