Blatant disrespect is something I cannot evade. Each day, at the very least, one student will make my job worthwhile beyond measure and one student will make my life a living hell.
EM is a student whose missed class for the past week. Before this absence, she instigated another student, calling him names, to the point of physical altercation. Notebooks and pencils were thrown. Mr. G tossed himself between enemy lines. The kids got themselves a show.
The past week contained a certain calm as a consequence of EM's absence. Class ran smoother. You see, EM's got a tendency to rile people up in the "lemme get under their skin to piss em off" kinda way. And quite frankly, it even pisses me off. Yesterday, she was back. "EM, put your phone away." "No, Mr. G. I can't."... Ring, ring, ring. I give her the teacher stare (Phones don't ring in class. And when they do, kids cower apologetically. Not this time)... "Hello, hold on. I can't talk right now I'm in class.... Oh, sorry Mr. G." A lil' more disrespectful than your average on this day; and me, I'm a lil' more irritated.
The whole bit about teaching requiring patience is no joke, in fact it's an understatement. You got to understand, Mr. G, these kids are 14-15 years old and they're from OAKLAND.
I find out EM's just switched foster homes. Her fourth switch thus far this school year. And, just like that, it all makes sense.
---
This is but one story I can share about one student in one class in one year of my short teaching career. Stories about students whose anti-teacher antics dumbfound me. Stories about students whose life struggles are far beyond my own.I have no option but let my patience guide me.
No comments:
Post a Comment