07 September 2010

La Laguna

If I've spoken to you in the past few weeks, you're well aware I'm currently infatuated w/ my new living space. I owe much to my experiences in 2422, but my spot on Grant street pales in comparison to the one I got here. I'd love to post a pic or two to back it up, but I'd rather try and stir hype to give you further reason to come through for a visit.

Anyway, along w/ the new spot is a new location. And the Lake outside my window is even more valuable than what's within. This past summer included visits to good ol' SoCal beaches, sunset swims in the warm Puerto Rican Atlantic, and walks along Peruvian cliffs overlooking the Pacific. Each moment I stared off into the water, I was pushed further to the conclusion: my ideal space of living necessitates proximity to some sort of body of water.

I have that here now with this Lake. Breakfasts on the balcony looking at the water. 6:50am drives on Lakeshore as the sunrise's rays hit the water at the perfect angle. A gentle greeting by the same water that sent me off in the morning, welcoming me home. And if it gets too dark, no worries because a necklace of lights and a backdrop of lit up skyscrapers pretties things up as if the Lake were wearing an evening gown and ready for a date.

--

Separate topic: I've only ran the perimeter a total of two times. Once during a massive 22 miler training for the Oakland marathon; the other on the marathon course itself. During training, I continually envisioned a grandiose victory lap as I headed towards the finish. Reality was not too far off. Why am I so full of myself? Shut up, Ian.

Anyway, now that I'm here, I feel hesitant to make the Lake my go-to running course. In Berkeley, I was a one-man wolfpack getting lost in the streets to discover new routes. Here, I feel as if I'm another fish in the pond joining the running trend. Around here, running is cool. So cool, you hit traffic while you make your circle round.

I did my first run as an Oakland resident today... I liked it.

1 comment:

emilyn said...

yay for more blogging =)

Blog Archive