20 September 2010

Running With No Headphones

I've never been a fan of running with headphones.

During the beginnings with Coach Sark, headphones were unheard of. Wear 'em and you'd likely be murdered. Once upon a time, my friend Kevin wore sunglasses during a race. Shortly after the finish line, he got chewed out big time. Sark was old school.

Anyway, I see many runners on the street w/ a lil' something in their ears. Naturally I'm intrigued. I decide they must be onto something so I give it a go... I see the appeal. I do. Folks tell me the music motivates them, or at least distracts them from any sort of pain. It pushes them. I see that, too.

But I enjoy running because it's an opportunity to overcome that pain on your own. It gives me an opportunity to conquer my own self and using music as an added boost feels a lil' like cheating. I don't want to finish up a run and feel as if it was The Roots or Kanye West who carried me through. I'd rather it be just me.

--

Cory, Skyline's Spanish teacher, and I shared a conversation this morning - in Spanish, naturally. We shared our weekends and I talked about my gorgeous run along SF's embarcadero and she asks when I'd be running my next marathon. IDK, I say.

I like that these races provide motivation to pursue longer distances, but I hope to always run regardless.

--

In the end - no marathons, no races, no headphones - at the core, quite simply, I love running.

--

There was absolutely no point to this point - outside of the fact that I'd like to maintain my propensity to write and I'd like my fingers to keep typing away.

3 comments:

abril said...

Funny how difficult it is to avoid defending blog posts that reveal our meandering thoughts. The fact of the matter is, blog posts are allowed to be the equivalent of scribblings on the back of an envelope... they don't have to be college essays.

At least, that's what I tell myself in order to push myself to blog.

Eyawn said...

Yeah, and it's easy to feel "hey look at me I'm so awesome and full of myself" when writing about, well, yourself.

I'm trying to get myself over that hump once more, but it's a process I think.

emilyn said...

It's all good. Almost all of my blog posts have no point.

Oh wait that's not so good...

Hahah write what you please! I enjoy it either way :)

Blog Archive