19 July 2011

A Midsummer Night

I wrote a 'saved as draft' post a few nights ago to empty my mind. Summertime is when I am reminded what type of stranglehold a job can have on your mind and your purpose. Purposeless now, my mind is free. And, my mind is everywhere.

During the process of emptying, I became nostalgic for previous summers. Time in London. Backpacking in Peru. Beaches on the Mediterranean and the Caribbean. Alas, I came around. If I ever return to this cycle of thoughts during a midsummer's night a future year, I'd like to remind myself of four things:

1. Don't trip over cost for transportation. If you're gonna spend money, the things you'd most like to spend money on is (1) people you love and (2) getting places you want to be. Clear your savings. Go into the red, even.

2. Being schedule free doesn't mean it's a bad thing to set a schedule. Make lists and stick to the things that keep you going during the school year. The only difference between there and here is: you are free to choose what you're being productive towards.

3. Take initiative. Make the first move. Be with friends. Especially those you cannot see on a regular basis. You know the people are who make you who you are.

4. Regardless of how you're feeling, while on a free mind during a free midsummer night, never forget: it doesn't matter what the hell you do during your summer. Veg to the max, get caught up in bad decisions. At the very core, any change of pace is refreshing and recharging your being. So, if you're trippin' about not sticking to the above three, just say "whatev" and pop open another cold one. Why? Because you can and you deserve it, maestro.


--


East Coast, here I come.

No comments: