On Wednesday, as I taught my first lesson, there was a moment where I stood outside myself and said "Just play the part."
--
4 years
--
A Culmination - Where I Am Now - Jason is a student I taught during my first year at Skyline. He was a freshmen student then. He visited frequently during his sophomore and junior year and asked to become my IWE (aka TA) during his senior year. On this day, I know I want to pass on something special to Jason for his graduation so I choose two books I've read and re-read multiple times. I write a note in one book (like another teacher did for me once upon a time).
I start by saying: watching someone you've taught as a freshmen graduate from high school is a unique experience for a teacher and I've yet to see it.
Clark and I are stationed on the football field. We have a good view. I take a look through the program and count - I've taught 45 of the students on the field. I think about all the other students who didn't make it here. Those type of thoughts never leave you. But, this is a celebration. The ceremony occurs during the hour of sunset. Magic in the air from the moment we caught site of red and white caps and gowns through the trees as our seniors take their final walk down the hill. Speakers take their turns on the stage adding favorite cliched life lessons.
The VP calls me over from the stage and says "Ian, we don't know where the diplomas are. Can you find them?" I laugh at the funny behind-the-scenes teacher moments the crowd is completely oblivious to. I go on a goose hunt for a good 15 minutes before tracking down their location. I return and re-position myself nearer to the graduates.
High fives to every one I know as they take their victorious, slow-motion, journey back to their seats after shaking the principals hand. I'm so proud. Later, pictures with any student I can pinpoint in the crowd of hugs and smiles. I need to find Jason, though. I didn't wrap these books, write that note, nor held it for a good 2 hours for nothing! A good 20 minutes pass. Maybe I missed him?
He's there. He breaks down crying. I don't know how to react. I give him a hug.
It's night now as I walk back to my car parked near my classroom. I've left the crowd of people, walked up the hill, and the main campus has never felt so silent. I think of the faces I'll no longer see in these halls. Halls that won't entirely be the same. It's an infinite moment - the end of another school year. But it's melancholy. A village has left - men and women I've known since 14 grow to become college bound young adults [from tha' town]. It's been an honor to be your teacher and I'll miss you.
This performance gave me goosebumps. Apologies for the camera work, I couldn't keep my head from nodding.
PS. Erin, a student I taught as a freshmen, was composer. She, along with four of my latest students, were part of the ensemble.
PPS. I'm not a musician myself, but I admire them. So, I live vicariously through my kids' abilities!
A Beginning - Year 5 - Each year has gotten progressively better. Each year, I feel more deeply invested in the purpose of my work. There are blogs upon blogs that should've been written about my experiences with students and other teachers, or about the progression and development of my teaching, or about how life and work have affected one another so much that they've now become virtually intertwined.
I am no longer the teacher I was at ages 22 or 23. Those were survival years. Years 3 brought a new flavor and a sense of community. Year 4 gave me a desire to become completely genuine to my students. To bend myself to their needs as much as possible. A selflessness.
I believe in Skyline. Each year I see it becoming a better place, a better school for it's students and it's community. I believe it's well on it's way to becoming a great school. I also believe in a large comprehensive school's transformative power to help a struggling city. A city like Oakland.
Who knows what year 5 will bring - but if I were to peak and see what's new this upcoming year 5, I hope to see a Mr. G impacting the entire Skyline community. I know the challenges, but I can see it happening. Now more than ever, I'm ready.
No comments:
Post a Comment