
Lately, two things:
1 - Re-opening my dream journal - A morning came where dreams of the night before felt too vivid to forget. A strong urge to record a dream, an urge not felt since the summer of 2006. Since that morning, each day I manage to overcome the waking self that disagrees with my urge to write. It's become the first thing I do. I wake up and write of the faces, places, and events that, only 10 minutes ago, felt so real. Why were they there? I'd think on later, if I so pleased, but the routine is done merely to allow those waking memories of dreams to linger longer than usual. (making those journal entries easier to write, making those waking memories of dreams to linger longer still).
2 - Loggin sleep hours - On the worst days, I sit and reflect and wonder how things could've gone better. Almost always, I track it back to the previous night's lack of sleep. On the flipside, days marked by calmness and happiness (regardless of student antics) are typically days where I slept enough. There's gotta be a connection. I read a story on 4HB about a man who lost 50+ lbs of weight without committing to a specific diet or exercise. He did it merely by logging his weight daily, a routine that helped him become more conscious of daily choices and daily actions that affected his health. "Wow" I thought to myself, "why not do the same with sleep?"
--
On college nights, I lived by the mantra "sleep is the cousin of death" to help rationalize why I slept so little. I think otherwise now (obviously), but I like the thought of giving more attention to the third of our lives too many neglect.
No comments:
Post a Comment