Once again, I'm happy about my choice of major. I remember a period last semester when I wished so badly that I had majored in something else, something more sciency & respectable. Bioenginneering, molecular cell biology, or something of the like came to mind. But you know what, I'm damn interested in Cog-Sci. A mix of neuroscience, psychology, philosophy, linguistics, and dabs of sociology, & anthropology. Knowledge of chemistry & biology also comes to play. Computer science is ok, I guess. Conceptually, but the practice is a pain in the ass(!) - so much that I acrimoniously loathe it. (Acrimonious was the word of today in Summerbridge).
My interest is reflected outside the classroom too, as I've picked up two books out this summer that are Cog-Sci related. In one, I learned about dreams - what they're about, where they're derived, and what neural mechanisms correlate w/ their function (and if we can learn anything from them). And recently, I've started reading a book that examines the cognitive aspects of human beings and learning/using mathematics. I've also subscribed in SA Mind - a bimonthly magazine dedicated to bringing mind-related news and articles.
Cognitive science is an emerging field - it's only taken it's baby steps. And it's fascinating to pick up on stuff that's only recently been discovered. It's sparked my interest for a spectrum of disciplines, fueling my desire to learn. What's also cool is that it's applicable to my real world goals of becoming an educator. Prepping myself to teach, I'm learning about learning itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment