... are numbered.
Friday was the final day of summerbridge classes. All that's left are one last week of celebration exercises and exit interviews/presentations. It's been an experience of a lifetime working with inspiring kids, and with a faculty that's become like family. If you know me well, you know how much I value community. There aren't many communities more tight-knit as the one formed at the Bay School this summer.
Being in San Francisco on a daily basis has enabled me to claim quasi-citizenship to the city. Early morning BART rides filled with sleepy commuters passing time, reading books or tuned into ipods. Bustling streets and sounds around 5 & 6pm, buslines, diverse peoples, and people in black suits - There's nothing like the city, and this small town Santa Maria boy is grateful he's been able to experience something so different.
This past week I've visited the San Francisco Chronicle on Occupational Field Trip Day. I watched the musical RENT at Golden Gate Theater. I've hung out with friends in small, expensive, but very hip downtown apartments. I've familiarized myself with streets, streets with timed lights and streets to avoid walking on.
It's only a bridge or a BART ride away, but I would've never been able to get a dose of San Francisco as big as this, if it was not for this summer. As this experience dwindles to it's end, I'm thankful, and hopeful for more.
1 comment:
I'm glad you got to experience San Francisco more intimately. You're definitely one of the lucky few.
Post a Comment