Just a couple hours ago, I performed the annual 'taking down of the Christmas tree.' Ever since I left home for college, I haven't been able to participate in putting up the tree. Due to this, it's been expected that I be the one who takes down the lights and ornaments.
The "taking down of the tree" marks the end of the holiday season for me, the end of the best time of the year. Christmas is always hailed as the best day of the year, the culmination of hard work, shopping for presents, a semester, etc. And Christmas is great. I love it. I love the mess of wrapping paper left in the living room in the morning. I love spending time with friends and family, laughing, catching up, enjoying new toys, enjoying good food.
When Christmas ends, it's ok. New year eve is right around the corner, and that's a bundle of fun and a half too. But after that's over, you've got a long way to go til it comes back again.
Taking down the tree this year, my mind wandered to thinking: "where the hell am I going to be the next time I take this tree down." For the past 15 or so years, it's always been certain. I'd be on winter break from school. But I won't be in school next year...
It was pretty mind-boggling.
Everything's up in the air right now. A lot of anxiety, mixed emotions. There's a lot of options, probable situations, things I'm really hoping for, but nothing's for sure. And that's why it's so scary...
That's life. It's always been this way. 07's a huge year for me. Why it'll be huge, I'm not so sure. I just know it will be.
1 comment:
Don't forget to blog every now and then while you're off having your huge year ;)
Post a Comment