22 January 2009

Why I'm a Proponent of the Twittvolution

Looking into Twitter, one realizes it's nothing more than FB status or GChat status. Why join ANOTHER social networking site when existing sites already get the job done? A valid question. Here's my reason:

Twitter was created w/ text messaging in mind. You can update your status through text. You can choose to have updates delivered to you through text.

I'm new to the unlimited texting realm, but with twitter, I feel like I'm using my $15/month subscription to the fullest. I enjoy reading the statuses of people who matter on FB & GC; Twitter enables me to do these things while disconnected. Twitter makes my world feel smaller, it helps me feel connected to people who matter.

For a few twitter friends who've joined, I read updates as they happen:

My brother played in a show last Saturday.
This morning, my neighbor enjoyed a nice walk home.
Mark hasn't used index cards at all for studying, only FB vids.
Josh had pig & crab for dinner, and loved it.
LIVE UPDATES from Vaughn & Camille at the Inauguration all weekend. LIVE.

Yeah, of course I feel vain sharing tiny moments of my day with the world, but I do this with the notion that I share for the people who care. If you don't care, then don't read! I do know the tiny moments of people close to me are tiny moments I care to read about. And it's dope that I can read them INSTANTLY, from WHEREVER I AM. Sometimes I'll even decide to send a text back right away just because I can. ("Where y'all playing at?") No need for no iphone, no need for no bb, nor sidekick, nor any other fancy gadget - just texting.

Lastly, I like the fact that it's minimalist in nature. You only get 160 characters to work with. You only have 160 characters to read. Be witty, be deep, be straightforward, be whatever... it's all about sharing your life w/ people who care.

F'sho. Join!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

my friends from home are all about twitter...i'm skeptical

Eyawn said...

Join foo.

Blog Archive