On my way to the library today, I encountered a number of people crowding around the overblown newspaper articles posted outside Moffit. I joined them for a brief minute to see headlines of the following sort:
"Gunman was South Korean"
"Korean immigrant wanted to get even with rich students"
"Korean student was gunman in Virgina Tech massacre"
And I thought to myself, does it really matter what his race was? What if he was white? Would they be saying "Gunman was white." What if he was black? The media would love that, wouldn't they. Imagine the stories they could spin off of that. What if the gunman was a woman? How would that change the story? What if the gunman was Filipino?
Bottom line, I think the student's race is insignificant. The bottom line is that there was just something wrong in that kid's head, no matter who he was. Anybody of any race, gender, status or whatever could have exploded the way he did. I think it's sad that newspaper headlines place this much focus on the killer's race. It's an indicator that our country's real caught up in race relations, and it probably always will be.
What could this mean for America...? After 9/11, how much discrimination was placed on Arabian folks? Does this event mean Koreans will now be under fire? What about Asians in general? What the hell is wrong with those Asians anyway? Something's got to be wrong with Asians if one of them ended up doing something like this...
... Here's an article if you're at all interested in what I just said.
Lastly, just wanted to mention that this whole Virgina Tech shooting does hit home for me. I have a friend that attends the school. Thankfully, he's ok. My prayers and thoughts go out to the victims and their families.
No comments:
Post a Comment