As the Lenten season comes to a close, it is the first time I seriously consider prolonging my Lenten sacrifice. There were periods last year where coffee was necessity, especially with the work routines I'd developed. The best time to work became early mornings; but for early mornings to even be possible, an early morning cup was unavoidable.
Preset coffee maker, sleep, wake up, walk to coffee maker, pour, drink. Ready, set, work.
I dropped coffee cold shoulder expecting massive withdrawals symptoms and hits on productivity. I experienced neither.
I do miss coffee. This morning, my dad brewed enough to fill the coffee pot to near capacity. Stuff. Smelled. Good. OMG. The sound of it roasting and later pouring did not help the cause. "Gusto mo ba?" "Nah, gave it up for Lent."
I miss it. I do. But alertness has been just fine. Tea's an OK replacement (I guess). My body's adjusted. I sleep more. It feels good to know when my body needs rest; and it feels good to get in a good number EACH night (as opposed to crashing HARD once or twice a week - seriously, some nights I'd be out by 6pm til morning).
In terms of productivity, I've adjusted. Afterschool cafe's are now the name of the game. Early mornings are no longer realistic until I put serious effort into sleeping much earlier. Quick power hour sessions at cafe are awesome though. Sit down, get it all done, then go home. Why didn't I do more of this back in college?
I do enjoy coffee though. It keeps me alert. I miss those early mornings. I miss the taste, and the alertness that follows.
Anyway, to conclude this lame attempt at a blog entry: a poll. Stay off or get back on? Shiet, I already know the answer. Up to me to make it happen, I guess.
--
PS. This is me battling my propensity to twitt rather than blog when satisfying my need to be heard (/vain).
PSS. For all who remember my 25, I rescind #6.
PSSS. I love spring break. NYC, here I come!
Wait is it PSS or PPS?
5 comments:
pps :)
see you soon!
PPPPPS. Otherwise you're writing "post script script script script script script".
Welcome to the tea side! Although this blog post reminded me of how delicious the coffee right near my work is, so I'm getting some this morning. So: stay off the juice, but thanks for getting me back on it?
Hmm. Inspiring and intriguing, but I'm not ready for such a big step in my life. I should bookmark this post, and read it when I one day finally decide to quit coffee..
Btw, your post reminds me of quite a few posts I've also written about coffee. I wonder what it is about caffeine dependency that makes it so bloggable..
i didn't find it that hard to give up meat either!! (but maybe we're getting some help? :)
i don't think you should give it up altogether. i'm a "coffee when necessary" kind of person and i think it works. at least for me.
in the words of HHTDL: moderation in all things :]
Switch to meth.
Post a Comment