21 June 2009

Sundays are Zoomdays


I put on my zoom out lenses on Sundays most. The lens that brings me context of where I was a week or two or three ago, the lens that helps me see a week or two or three ahead. I walk through the doors, catch pensive faces, poses full of prayer, choose a pew, and take my seat. After a prayer, an intention, a greetings Lord thank you for my life, I'm here now, my mind wanders to the last time I did exactly this. When was the last time?

---

I was in New York City sitting next to Kristine, fresh off a walk through Washington Square park where she yelled "THAT'S SOOO COOL!" upon learning that particular Sunday was "World Science Fair Sunday" at the square. Krizia would join us too. We'd take a pit stop to Urban Outfitters where I'd make my first ever purchase at the store. No shame no blame. I'm happy w/ my purchases and I look so cool & stylish as I wear them now. After, New York would provide us w/ glorious weather as we walked down 5th avenue towards Big Apple Barbeque. And later, speed scrabble.

Newman church. 11:30am mass. No one to go with so I go alone. But there, I run into Jarrett & Denise. After, Denise and I cafe sesh it for a few hours. My final planning session before my kids take their finals. The final cafe sesh before I'm done w/ the school year! We spend about 2 hours, 2 hours well spent. I had my favorite Lakers tee on. It lists all their 14 championships. I joke that I'll soon have to sharpie in an '09. Game 2 bbq. My place. 5. Let's do it.

A similar routine. 11:30am mass. I get work done at a cafe. I'm jealous of friends watching Up. I hoop at Albany w/ Will and his crew, and afterwards get major case of playoff-withdrawals. First night since April where an NBA playoff game wouldn't be playing that night. Orlando just finished off Cleveland. The finals matchup was set. My last full week w/ my students upon me.

Pilgrad weekend. I sleep all day to recover, hoping to be ready for the bash... the alumni bash. I consider passing that night but push myself to go. Nights like this come only once in awhile, I think. W/ everyone in town and everything. I'm happy I did. Only a shot or two of this and that and I'm as awake and alive as I was the past 3 drunken nights. I'm 23, I can still do this type of thing.

iCal showed nothing for this weekend so I chose to spend it home. My last weekend home. Goodbyes to the fam feel anticlimactic, only because I know I'd see my parents again a week later. But to Leif it was just a "aright, see you in August." I wouldn't really feel teary eyed til 5 weeks later. The drive back, ugh, I hate the drive more and more. But I do it anyway b/c SM will always be home.

--

Westminster Cathedral. 7pm mass. My first weekend in London comes to a close. Last night, I asked a Brit at the pub if he knew of a Catholic church around the area. The only place he could suggest was this one. With my brand new traveling hat and week old travelling bag, I go alone. I'm uncertain if any of the other Winants are Catholic. Hit the bus stop at 6 doubting I'd make it on time, but I do! I consciously pulled out my "top 10 London" guide on a packed train to determine the tube stop I'd transfer. Oxford Circus. I do it. And the trains conspire to grant me a quick trip. After mass, I take my time soaking in the architecture. Sit on the steps to write a bit, to call my dad a happy father's day. To start walking again towards the the next adventure.

No comments:

Blog Archive