05 July 2009

Going Global

I signed up for this volunteer program knowing I had an itch, but unknowing where to scratch. My life felt static, but moving for the sake of moving just wasn't my way. I wanted something new, something different; I wanted opportunities to grow.

I had no idea what to expect. And the whirlwind that was my last few weeks at home prevented me from prepping my mind for what was to come...

Many blogs have formulated in my head while walking through parks to work, or running under the rare London sun, or during work hours where I'm either playing barista or working in an office, but sessions where I sit in my tiny dorm room with the intent to blog elude me.

That must change.

I told Owen the other day that blogs help me pin down, define the cluttered mess in my head. And the need to blog is as necessary now while traveling as it is during mundane weeks grinding the work routine.

A few weeks ago, I was in the midst of a "London first week thoughts and observations" type of post. Maybe I'll revisit it in a few days, maybe I won't. Maybe I'll revisit a few of the others I had saved, maybe I won't.

For now I'll continue on w/ what's most prominent.

--

I've never been at a place where I didn't speak the language. Never. Though I'm in an english speaking country, I have gotten my first taste.

I currently live in a dorm. Yes, a dorm. And though it's easy to wish for better accommodations, the major plus of living in a dorm-type setting is in meeting new people. Foreigners from all over the world live in Sir John Cass Hall, whether it be to volunteer, to go to school, to learn english, or simply to live cheaply in London. In the past 3 weeks I've interacted w/ someone from Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Australia, a place in Africa (shit, forget the name), Scotland, Italy, and Americans from Chicago, Texas, Boston, Maine, Kentucky, etc, etc.

I create this list to give myself reminder: I've never had a hangout session w/ so many people from around the world all gathered in one place, partaking in the universal pleasures of drinking, dancing, laughing, conversing, and overall good company. At one point, over 4 languages were being spoken simultaneously.

This experience has become more than just an opportunity to live and breathe London.

The challenge of learning a new language has never appealed to me this much. Imagine sitting next to someone whom you'd love to get to know, whose life intrigues you, yet you can't because the two of you are unable to communicate. I've had interactions that've moved super slowly w/ a few of the friends I've made here, only because my spanish is as bad as their english. I curse myself for not taking spanish more seriously in high school.

Like I've said in my tweets, my time here has only got me wanting more. I read somewhere: "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." (from Saint Augustine, actually, just goog'd it). I consider myself incredibly fortunate to have the opportunity to be here now, but now I want to live and breathe other places too.

My master teacher at summerbridge 3 years ago picked up his belongings and left to live in Argentina for two years. I asked him why. He didn't have a reason. He was in his mid-20's then. I didn't understand why anyone in their right mind would do such a thing; now, I do.

--

PS. Your comments and emails are appreciated as always, but much more this time around. Obviously. Lemme hear from you!

2 comments:

Kristine Dahl said...

practica su espanol y podra hablar con sus amigos nuevos con tiempo

recuerda la pregunta, "como se dice 'insert English word' en espanol?"

espero que continuas escribiendo en su blog. me gustaria leer sus experiencias

buena suerte!

[ nicky ] said...

truly happy for you, bud. traveling is something that i remember telling you when we were driving around berkeley a few months ago that once you experience it, you only crave it more. take it all in.

have you decided where you're going to do your post-program vacation?

i think we're all living vicariously through you.

Blog Archive