California's diverse in it's own right, and in California my identity is largely Filipino. And I'm comfortable w/ it, because I hang w/ many Filipinos and my family's Filipino. And I'm comfortable w/ that because it's in folks who share a common upbringing and a common culture that I best relate and identify. That's a post in itself; point is, it's undeniable that my identity in California is 'Filipino.'
In contrast, my identity here in Europe is 'American.' Along with it, every stereotype that comes along w/ Americans. In one conversation, a Swiss native told me I was far different than what he envisioned an American to be. Makes sense, b/c popular American movies and television are exported overseas and construct the identity for us before any sort of genuine human interaction can give an impression.
--
History Turned Relevant
But I do pin myself as an ignorant American. It seems my European counterparts have a greater understanding of the world, it's countries, and it's history. Miro, the chef I spoke of the previous post, seems to know more about my own country than me. There's no doubt his knowledge of the rest of the world squashes mine.
On our trip to Cambridge, as other Winants spoke w/ each other over dinner and drinks, I struck up a conversation w/ our driver. At some point, our conversation turned towards Scotland and it's historically unphased architecture. This is in contrast to London's which at one point underwent massive reconstruction due to bombings and fires. "Why?" I asked. Soon our conversation turned to the Battle of Britain, World War II, and his own father's experiences in London during the war.
Coming back to the cafe, I spoke w/ Miro about how my interest of the world and it's history has grown since arriving here. Ania put in her two cents, saying it makes sense since studying history in school is all textbook, lectures and notes. It's different when you're actually there. I agree:


--
Now, I feel like a knowledge sponge. I not only feel connected to the world, but to those who lived before us. Not only Filipino folks, but all folks. History made relevant.
As I walked through the Holocaust Exhibit of the Imperial War Museum one evening after work, I took it all in. I thought an hour would be enough, but far from it. So I came back a second time... only to run out of time... again.
3 comments:
probably the best post i've ever read from you.
You stole my heart with this post Eyawn.
wow.
Post a Comment