
Vegan burger and spaghetti bolognese. 8 pound 60 please. "Thank you" he'd bow and hand over a ten-er. Fisherman's hat, sunglasses, and polo tee.
Double cappucino w/ chocolate on top. 1pm, same time everyday.
Green tea w/ a slice of lemon, and can I get that in a mug and not a cup?
A really weak cappucino w/ extra hot milk to takeaway please.
Yesterday, I trained Jemel everything I knew about the cafe. Fittingly. My time at the Gallery Cafe's come full circle, and my final farewells to a staff I've grown to appreciate are said tomorrow.
Cafe work was the furthest from my mind when I sent in my WCVA app. I anticipated an opportunity to work directly w/ an underprivileged clientele and I catered myself as someone who works well w/ kids. After all, every occupation I've held since my soph year of college has in one way or another involved kids them lil critters. 7 weeks of work w/ underprivileged youth, I thought it was a sure thing..
But this summer's been a nice change of pace, a necessary change of pace. And, as a cafe goer myself, I'm thankful to now know what goes on the other side of the counter. I mean, before this, I didn't quite know the difference between a capucino and a latte.
You get to know the regulars, and their orders, and their tendencies. Serving is also a jumpoff point for conversation, and this Californian in London appreciated each and every different accent of english that asked for a single americano or fresh squeezed orange juice.
And the staff - 6 weeks w/ a small staff I worked w/ on the daily built for me a small family. We joked, conversed, and laughed during the inbetweens of our jobs. When I came down to pick up the falafel wrap to deliver to table 52, chef Miro would share the latest American joke he'd have in mind. Either that, or ask, in his heavy Slavic accent, about San Francisco and talk of how he'd like to visit.
I love learning of the lives of my international peers. Ania, my Polish coworker with an adorable Polish accent, became vegetarian when she was 14. She wore a head of dreads and hitchhiked her way through Europe when she was in her young 20's. Now, lives in London and has been at the cafe for over a year. She also does screen prints, most which carry a political message. I bought myself 2. Also, I've learned a few words in Polski.
We make the front end run fairly smooth, I'll vainly admit. We got chemistry and we squash any growing queue w/ the quickness. And we know all our regulars. And we know the till, the menu, and the cafe routine like it's the back of our hands. One morning she seemed distraught over the job, and, responding to my attempt to lift her spirits, she responded w/ "ya, but at least you are leaving in two weeks." Recently, she submitted a two weeks notice of her own. "What's next?" I ask, and she responds w/ an "I don't know, but it's time."
So we're both assigned respective apprentices to train as our departures become imminent. Fittingly. My time at the cafe and my time w/ these great people come to end. I'm filled w/ gratitude to have been able to walk life at a different pace. I consider the possibility that I contributed to Ania's sudden decision to switch things up. Did this Californian living a make-believe European life for one summer make an impact on hers? Not too sure, but I do know for sure that she, the rest of the staff, and this place made an impact on mine.
Pics taken from our website, which I helped edit!
1 comment:
Dude... I didnt know you were working in a cafe. I feel like you lived a summer that should have been mine! :P jk ..sounds so awesome, i wish i could have been a part of the fun
Post a Comment